Last week was one hell of a week. I was looking forward to my last week of my work “vacation”, spending it sleeping in, starting an indoor herb garden; seeding flowers before transplanting outside and doing other things that one would like to do on their time off before heading back to work today.

But that did not happen.

Last Monday was like any other Monday, for someone who was on a “break” (I say break because I am in between terms at work). I slept in until 1:30 (I was up earlier in the night with an upset stomach), ate lunch, watched television and surfed the internet. Went to bed around 11pm.

Then Tuesday… well that was a whole different story.

I woke up at 3am with heartburn and an upset stomach. I figured that the smoothie I had around 8:30 didn’t quite sit well in my stomach. I typically don’t eat anything after 8, but I was craving crappy foods and the only way to get me out of that funk was to have a delicious smoothie. I sat in bed for an hour until everything started to go horribly wrong. I came downstairs to the living room and sat on the couch. I could feel that something bad was going to happen and around 5am, it did.

I was sick, very sick.

I’m going to spare you all the nasty details but as you can see by the photo above, I landed up in the ER with an IV in my arm because I was extremely dehydrated due to being very sick. I was in the ER from 7:45 – 12:30 and was poked and prodded with many needles – IV, blood work….. I’ve been a pin cushion since I was an infant so I’ve become accustom to the bruising and watching the techs take my blood.

The doctor came to the conclusion that I had a very bad case of a nasty stomach virus that is circulating and I wasn’t the only one. Two other patients my age came in shortly after I did with the same symptoms. I feel for them. It’s not fun.

I came home and was on the couch all week (except for when I went to bed) with a fever, chills and intense stomach/intestinal pain thanks to this horrible virus. I was down for the count and I was so out of it.

Thursday night was the first time I could eat solid food. Until then I was on a liquid diet and could only eat Jello. Jello would help my stomach digest any pills I was taking (Tylenol for the stomach pain and Gravol for the nausea) and Ginger-Ale was helping soothe my tummy a bit. Friday I was finally able to eat a decent meal without any side effects. However, I’m still taking Tylenol and Gravol. I paid a visit to my doctor Friday because I felt bumps under my skin and was a little worried. I thought that my lymph nodes were swollen, turns out they are but that wasn’t what the bumps were – I have clumps of fat that have formed balls and since I’ve been losing weight, I’ve only now noticed them. There’s a name to them, but a real long medical Grey’s Anatomy type of name. Sleeping at night has become uncomfortable – I am most comfortable sleeping on my right side (and how I typically fall asleep), but because the nodes on my right side are swollen and painful, it makes sleeping painful and uncomfortable.

I hope that no one catches this dreaded virus. Last week has not been very pleasant, I reverted to age six (even cried a bit in displeasure/frustration/agony), and I’m pretty sure that 5 of the 15 pounds I lost in the last month were from last week alone.

My advice? Stay indoors, avoid people like the plague and become a hermit. Watch a lot of daytime talk show and soaps to pass the time. OH EM GEE! Have you been watching Days? Scandalous!


2 thoughts on “Sidelined….”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s